Throughout this course you will be learning about different policies. It is important to consider your personal stance on different issues and to be knowledge of where the social work professional organization stands as well. As social workers, one should be taking an active role in the advancement of policies. Policy topics can have a wide range of topics. This assignment will give you an opportunity to consider various topics, reflect on your knowledge regarding the topics, and consider your personal opinion and to learn NASWâ€™s perspective.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Examine the impact of Christian influences on social welfare. (PO 5, ILO 5)
- Demonstrate character, scholarship, and leadership in becoming a world changer through application to personal life and professional social work practice.
- Demonstrate Christ-like attitudes, values, worldviews, and ethical and professional behavior within advanced clinical practice. (ILO 1)
- File: Values Inventory form (in Shared Documents)
- File: NASW Position Answer Key (in Shared Documents)
The NASW delegate assemblies meets every three years to establish policy statements that represent NASWâ€™s position and actions on various policy and professional issues. The statements from NASW represented in this assignment are based on the 11th edition of Social Work Speaks. The statements were adopted and revised by the 2017 NASW Delegate Assembly.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Open the following link Personal Value Statement. Read each statement below. Indicate your personal agreement (+) or disagreement (-) in the space to the left of each statement. You may also strongly agree (++) or strongly disagree (–).
- On a scale of 1-5, indicate how knowledgeable you feel about each issue (1 is â€œcluelessâ€ and 5 is â€œextremely well-versedâ€).
- Once you have indicated your personal agreement or disagreement with each statement, please open the NASW file and note the stance of NASW. Please do not open the file until you have completed the previous sections. You may not always agree with each position which is okay. Use the far right-hand column to indicate whether our professional organization agrees (+) or disagrees (-) with each statement.
- Finally, looking back at the completed inventory, compare your own personal opinions with those of the social work profession and with Biblical teachings. Consider both the similarities and the differences. Write a cogent, thoughtful 1-2 page APA formatted reflection that discusses (1) how the two compare, (2) your thoughts about why specific discrepancies might exist, (3), Take a look at how you assessed your level of knowledge on the various issues in the Inventory. What conclusions can you draw?
- You must submit the checklist and reflection.
- Before finalizing your work, ensure that you:
- Have followed the assignment instructions carefully.
- Use the computerâ€™s spelling and grammar check.
- Use APA format for organization, style, and source credits, including:
- 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Normal character spacing
- In-text citations
- Title page and reference page (may not have reference page as it is not required to list Bible in references)
- Properly formatted headings