At least one direct quotation from each source named on your references page
At least one paraphrase from each source named on your references page
At least 4 unique sources total, cited and referenced properly on a references page APA format
A clear thesis statement in the introductory paragraph
Excellent organization of your ideas
A word count of 1000 words, at minimum
Additional information from the Professor:
- Create a topic sentence for each of the sections in your outline. Remember, a topic sentence both defines the topic of the paragraph and indicates a main point about that topic. Usually, a topic sentence is the first sentence of a paragraph.
- Then, write a paragraph to support each topic sentence. Using detail from the prewriting, each paragraph should explain and expand on its purpose, as indicated in the topic sentence. Make sure that you only focus on that single main idea – if you find that the paragraph is losing focus on the purpose indicated in the topic sentence, go back and revise. Paragraphs should be unified around only one single point. These paragraphs will make up the body paragraphs of your essay.
- After you have drafted the body paragraphs, think about your introduction. Your introduction should provide the background context necessary for your reader to understand the rest of the essay.
- Now, revisit your working thesis statement. Remember that a thesis statement serves as the topic sentence for the whole essay, indicating not only the essay’s topic, but also the meaning of the narrative. Reconsider the working thesis statement that you already developed. Does it still work, now that you’ve written the essay? Or do you need to modify it? After you’ve revised your thesis, place the sentence in the introductory paragraph, as the last sentence.
- Write a conclusion that sums up the essay. Conclusions can sometimes be mirror images of the introduction, containing the same basic ideas, but restating them in a slightly different way. In this case, it might be appropriate to elaborate on the meaning of the essay. That is, you wrote your essay to prove a particular thesis statement, so use your conclusion to revisit that point and develop it specifically.
- Finally, add a title that indicates the main idea of the essay, without restating your thesis statement.
- This essay should be roughly 1000 words in length.