Module 2 – SLP
Foundation for this assignment
This assignment is designed to familiarize you with some of the global health problems and diseases in your selected population.
Task for this assignment
In this assignment you will select a disease that affects the population from your interview assignment. You will explore the disease in detail and discuss the extent to which the populations behaviors, culture, genetics, or environment contribute to the disease.
You should use a variety of resources for this presentation. At least two sources must come from peer-reviewed journals. Areas to include in this assignment include but are not limited to:
- An overview of the selected population
- A description of the disease (transmission, prevalence, etc…)
- A description of potentially relevant cultural factors related to the health issue or disease.
- Cultural factors such as language, diet, expectations regarding health care, and the role of traditional healing.
SLP Assignment Expectations
In order to earn full credit
You must clearly show that you have read the module homepage and the required background materials that relate to this assignment. You are welcome to do research in addition to — but not instead of — the required readings.
Please write your paper in your own words. That is the only way I can evaluate your level of understanding.
Even though the papers must be written in your own words, you are required to use scholarly and professional sources to support your statement. Cite sources for any statement of fact or idea that is not common knowledge. You must cite the sources within the body of the paper and include a reference list at the end of the paper.
Quotes are very rarely needed; if necessary, they should comprise much less than 10% of a paper and must be in quotation marks and properly cited.
Draw upon a broad base of scholarly literature to support your statements. Web sites and fact sheets may be a useful starting point; however, you are expected to locate peer-reviewed readings on your topic from the electronic library.
Wikipedia is not an acceptable source of information. Use credible, professional, and scholarly sources such as peer-reviewed journal articles from the Online Library, and government, university, or nonprofit organizations’ Web sites.
Your papers will be evaluated on the following factors:
- References – citations are used within the body of the paper any time you state a fact or idea that is not common knowledge. A reference list is included at the end of the paper.
- Precision – you follow all instructions and you answer each part of the assignment.
- Breadth – you show broad knowledge of the module’s topic.
- Depth – you go into detail to show more critical thought about the specific tasks or questions in the assignment.
- Clarity – the extent to which you elaborate and include discussion or examples as asked.
- Application – the extent to which you apply the information to a real-life situation related to the assignment, if asked.