*REFLECT: Please examine various topical issues that are addressed by professionals in the health and human services field. To demonstrate your mastery of the program learning outcomes, you will synthesize your knowledge of various content areas related to a social issue of your choosing, and use this to develop an original intervention (i.e., strategy, technique, or application) to address this particular topic.
*WRITE: The Background of Social Issues Paper
More specifically, your task will involve addressing the following content areas:
- Identify a social issue that health and/or human service organizations address in some capacity and discuss its current impact on group(s) affected by it. When selecting an area of focus, take into account broad topics that have been exhaustively scrutinized at the scholarly level, such as homelessness, mental health, aging, substance abuse, child welfare, etc. A good place to begin your search on an area of interest is the HHS A to Z Index.
- Describe the historical underpinnings of this issue. Factors to consider include: where and how it originated, pertinent events and their dates, and its current status.
- Discuss specific factors contributing to the social issue. Consider environmental, social, political, and economic reasons that have attempted to explain why this issue persists.
- Evaluate the impact of this social issue on the delivery of health and human service efforts by reviewing the scholarly literature and relevant professional/governmental resources for evidence of formal responses in the form of policy implementation, legislation, or Acts related to this social issue. What impact has this had on how health and/or human service organizations provide support in terms of direct practice with clients. *REQUIREMENTS: Must be 3-4 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA standards. *Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- MUST use 3 scholarly sources, 2 of which must come from either the library or from a professional website ending in .gov *The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types.